Why do I Need Tenant Insurance?

Coverage for you

If someone is injured or has property damaged due to your actions or those of your guests, tenant's insurance provides protection. If you are found to be at fault, your tenant's policy will help pay for medical expenses and legal fees.


Coverage for your Possessions

Your landlord’s insurance policy protects the building and property they own, but it doesn’t cover your property.

A tenant insurance policy protects the contents of your residence—your furniture, electronics, clothing and other valuable items—from loss or damage due to a covered incident.

Coverage in an Emergency

With Tenant Insurance, you will always have a place to stay. Should loss or property damage occur, additional living expense coverage will pay for expenses incurred—like hotel bills and moving costs—if your residence is unfit for occupancy and being repaired.

Exclusively for you

As a tenant of Equiton Living, you are entitled to savings through a group purchasing program.
Policies start at under $18.50 per month (paid annually).

Buy Tenant Insurance Now


Do I need Tenant Insurance?

As a tenant, you are responsible and could be sued for unintentional harm you or your family or guests cause to any part of the building and others who live or visit there. Your rental agreement makes you responsible to your landlord for accidental damage to any part of the building.

Your belongings are not covered under your landlord's insurance policy. The contents of your residence—your furniture, electronics, clothing and other valuable items—are only protected when you purchase a tenant insurance policy. Damage can be caused by something accidental, like the bathtub overflowing or a toaster fire that spreads. You may also experience out-of-pocket expenses if you can't live in your apartment after a fire or other unforeseen event.

Tenants Insurance is a relatively inexpensive coverage but could make a big difference in your ability to replace your valuable belongings after a loss.

What does it cost?

Policies start as little as $194/year for Named Perils coverage and $238/year for Broad Form coverage, including sewer back-up.

What does Tenant Insurance offer?
  • A variety of coverage limits with a $1,000 deductible
  • We offer three coverage options for Tenants Insurance: 

    Named Perils

    Specifically names the perils included in the coverage (i.e. fire or lightning, smoke, vandalism, theft, and windstorm)
    Least expensive of the options and provides you with basic coverage, including liability

    Broad Form

    Insures you against All Risks subject to the exclusions and conditions of the policy
    Includes the coverage of the Named Perils option, plus accidental-type occurrences and damage by household pets

    Broad Form including sewer back-up

    All the benefits of the Broad Form selection, plus covers backing of or escape of water from a sewer or drain
    Replacement cost on contents from $10,000 to $100,000

  • Additional living expense coverage from $2,000-$30,000
  • Up to $2,000,000 Liability Coverage
Who qualifies for the Tenant Insurance program?

This program is offered by Cowan Insurance Group exclusively to the tenants of Equiton Living.

  • Payment is required in full and by credit card only
  • An email address to receive the policy
  • Claim history: no more than three claims in the past five years
  • Previous insurance is not required
Who doesn't qualify for the Tenant Insurance program?
  • Self-employed individuals or those who operate a business from their residence
  • Any residence where more than three unrelated individuals are living together
  • Tenants under the age of 18
  • Tenants who regularly occupy any other dwelling, such as a cottage or seasonal dwelling, camp, or condominium
  • Tenants who own watercraft (unless application questions properly limit to under 8 meters and $1,000)

Those who do not qualify can call 905-523-8400 or email tenants@cowangroup.ca for quotes/coverage outside the Tenant Insurance program.

When will my insurance coverage start?

You can get a quote and purchase tenant insurance in a matter of minutes. The final step in the process is online payment and activation. We will collect your credit card information and process your payment instantly. As long as that payment is successful, your insurance can be activated as soon as 12:01 a.m. the next day.

How do I renew my policy?

Your coverage will be in force for one year from the date it is activated. An email will be sent to you at renewal time, and you can log into our website to review your coverage and apply a payment to renew.

How do I cancel my tenant insurance?

To cancel your insurance policy, please contact:

Cowan Insurance Group

Which insurance companies does the Tenant Insurance program work with?

The following insurance companies offer comprehensive solutions that include specific offerings for tenants: Echelon Insurance, Gore Mutual, Intact Insurance, and Wawanesa insurance.

How do I make a claim?

To begin the claim process, complete the online form, and a claims agent will contact you.

About Cowan Insurance Group

Cowan Insurance Group offers a competitive tenant insurance program designed to protect you and your belongings—exclusive to tenants of Equiton Living.

We work with you to understand your needs and offer tailored solutions to protect what's most important to you. In addition to tenant insurance, we also offer insurance solutions for:

  • Cars and Homes
  • Recreational vehicles, boats, and trailers
  • Life and travel insurance

With over 90 years of experience, our team of specialists has the knowledge and expertise to ensure the insurance solutions we provide are adequate, relevant, and competitively priced.

We make it easy to find the right coverage by ensuring you have the best protection for yourself and your belongings. If you need to make a claim, we'll help you through every step of the process, ensuring you are always informed and able to make the right decisions.

Ask a Question or Report a Claim

If you have a question about your coverage or need to report a claim, please complete the form and a Cowan Insurance expert will reach out to you within one business day.